We’re app-fanatics, it’s true. With smart phones being the first thing we check in the morning, and the last thing we consult before bed, app popularity is hardly a surprising trend. In the INFOGRAPHIC below from graphs.net, we were introduced to some statistics that we thought you might find particularly interesting. Here’s the ones that stood out to us:
- Apple has had over 50 BILLION app downloads since it’s opening date of July 10, 2008 and has 850,000+ apps available.
- Google play is close behind with over 48 BILLION downloads since October 23, 2008 with 800,000+ apps available.
- Apple is ranked the #1 App Store (not so surprising), with Microsoft following close behind at #3 due to their ranking system.
- A staggering 33% of all apps developed are games, with others landing much lower on the scale: widget apps (8%), entertainment apps (7%) and social apps (5%).
- Facebook Messenger has 700 million users (this doesn’t include their regular app users).
- Skype is way behind with only 10 million users.
- Canalys.com predicts that app sales will rise from $7.3B in 2011 to $36.7B by 2015. Yes, the B means BILLION.
- Neilsen states that the most popular apps used are Facebook, Google Maps and The Weather Channel.
- The percentage of free downloads is predicted to rise from 90% in 2013 to 93% in 2016.
Have a look at the rest of the stats for yourself: