So many of my friends have purchased and use Kindles daily to consume their novels and reading materials. I came across this INFOGRAPHIC today, and thought it really explained some of the disruption within the marketplace :
Do you own an e-reader? How often do you use it? If not, do you plan on buying one? Share your thoughts in the comments!
I was so excited about sharing the Mint.com app with you yesterday in App Attack, that I neglected providing you all with a film for Film Friday! ‘
I found this little gem today in my travels – it’s probably one of the worst pitches I’ve ever seen done on Dragon’s Den. Have a watch and tell me: do you think this is a good idea? Would you buy it?
Alright, if you’re looking for the ULTIMATE budget and money-saving app – I’ve got the best solution for you!
Mint.com describes themselves as:
“THE BEST FREE WAY TO MANAGE YOUR MONEY
Mint.com allows you to track, budget and manage your money all in one place, so you can see where you’re spending and where you can save. Open an account, add your bank, credit, loan and retirement accounts and Mint will automatically pull in and categorize your transactions. It’s safe, secure and easy to keep your personal finances organized”
I’ll admit: upon first setting up, I was hesitant to provide my login information for my banking – but I’m here to report, there’s been no ‘fishy activity’, or withdrawals from a foreign entity. It takes some time to categorize all of your transactions, so I do recommend using their web version to sort through quickly.
Some other features include:
• View all of your accounts including: checking, savings, credit cards, investments, and retirement.
• Mint automatically pulls in and categorizes your transactions. No need to enter your own transactions.
• Easy-to-understand graphs show you where your money is going so you get a clear picture of your spending and your net worth. (iPad only)
• Know how much you have left to spend. Mint creates a customized budget based on your actual spending.
• Add manual transactions at the time of purchase so you can track cash spending.
• Avoid late fees and monitor cash flow — get bill reminders, alerts and advice sent right to your device.
• View your data even without a wireless connection. (iPad only)
You can download Mint.com for both Android and iPhone, or simply use their web version. Yes, it’s FREE!
Visit their site by clicking here.
Being a pretty avid shopper, I’m constantly on the look out for hot bargains and deals. Let’s face it: I really hate paying full price for just about everything. A while back I stumbled upon a policy that surprisingly: not many people know about!
Imagine a system where if a product scans with an incorrect price at the cashier’s till, it becomes FREE! Well, guess what? I’m here to tell you that this imaginary system is actually a reality, and it’s called the “Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code”.
There’s a few minor stipulations:
“If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.” (Source: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca)
The Canadian Association of Chain Drug Stores (CACDS)
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
Lawton Drug Stores
Pharma-save (BC and Sask)
The Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors (CCGD)
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
Federated Co-operatives Limited
The Retail Council of Canada (RCC)
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Shoppers Drug Mart
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy/Future Shop ( in implementation stage)
2 Home Hardware franchisees
The Federation of Independent Grocers (FIC)
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
As well as over 1000 independent locations
So next time you’re at the cash register, keep your eyes peeled! The sale price that you thought was FANTASTIC could end up being better than you think!
Want more info? Click here.
Have a story about redeeming this policy? Share it in the comments!
What do you automatically think when you hear the newscaster say: “40% Chance Of Rain”?
Chances are: a curse word followed by a swift move to pick up the umbrella on your way out the door are in your near future. Here’s the thing you may be missing - 40% chance of rain actually means 60% of sunshine. Refreshing, right?
This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t be taking your umbrella out with you in the morning – but also, properly look at the information in front of you, and choose your perspective.
We’ve all heard the familiar ‘glass half full’ analogies, and I can honestly admit that I sometimes find them incredibly annoying – particularly when the timing is off. I’ll admit: I spend a majority of my life planning for the worst. I find that there’s great benefits from always expecting the outcome will turn out sour. It prepares your mind in advance of bad news, and if by chance it all goes well – you’re pleasantly surprised.
All of that said, there’s one important concept that can easily be forgotten. You can prepare yourself without allowing negativity or fear to take over. It’s easy to let little things distract you in life, but with a proper perspective – you can be fully prepared to embrace disruption.
When you encounter situations that you find challenging or even a test of your patience, there’s a few questions you can ask yourself to get in the right mindset.
- Can I change the outcome of the situation? If not, accept it and make the best – sweating small stuff isn’t worth the heart attack.
- How can I prepare myself? Think about what you can do to limit the amount of negativity in the situation, and brace yourself for the unexpected.
- Will this matter a year from now? If not, try to figure out how to deal with the situation, and realize that the outcome won’t last forever
- Will it reflect badly on me if I’m resistant to the situation? Chances are, the people who have positive and open mindsets are viewed as more evolved and progressive human beings.
Believe me, I know how tempting it can be to fly off the handle or jump to negative thinking. We’re all guilty of it – we’re human. Hopefully this post can help you work towards seeing the 60% chance of sunshine on the horizon, while still keeping an umbrella in your back pocket (just incase).